Questions to Ask Suppliers
- What is the price per kilowatt-hour?
- What does that price include?
- What is the total price for, say, 500 kWh of electricity usage?
- Is it a fixed rate or variable rate? If it is a fixed rate, for how long does the rate stay fixed?
- Are there other charges that could change during the term of the agreement?
- Is there more than one rate plan to choose from?
- What is the length of the agreement?
- Is there a penalty for cancelling an agreement before the term is up? What happens if I move outside the service territory during the contract term?
- Are there any other terms in the agreement?
- What steps are necessary to enroll?
- Will there be a credit check performed?
- Will I be asked for a deposit?
- What steps must I take if I want to change suppliers or return to supply service with the utility?
- What will be the date my service starts? When will I receive my first bill?
- How will I be billed? Who provides the bill (or bills)? Am I able to participate in different bill plans such as budget billing or deferred payment arrangements?
- What options are available for bill payments? Can I receive and pay my bill on-line, or pay by credit card or check by phone?
- If I do not pay my bill in full, what collection activity will occur and when?
- Will notices that are required by law (disconnection, tree-trimming, claims, etc.) be sent to me if the bill is not provided by the utility?
- What are the Customer Service hours and phone number?
- What are your generation sources?
Note: Compare retail electric supplier complaint statistics by selecting the Customer Complaint Statistics.